Is seeing eye floaters in excessive sunlight normal?

I see 'floaters', especially when I'm getting a lot of sunlight on my eyes. I don't really get what floaters are, but is it normal for them to be so prominent? Sometimes they're pretty distracting when I'm driving. Is there any possible treatment for excessive floaters?
Floaters can be a normal visual occurrence, especially in the setting of increased light such as when exposed to excessive sunlight. If they have been longstanding, or increase in number slowly over a very long time, this is generally considered to be a normal finding. On the other hand, if you notice that there is a sudden increase in the number of floaters that you are experiencing, this can be the sign of a serious underlying condition associated with your eyes and this requires that you be evaluated by a specialist to undergo a dilated fundus exam immediately. There are certain conditions associted with excessive floaters such as retinal tears that require immediate evaluation by an ophthalmologist because of the possibility of longterm visual loss if not treated in an urgent fashion. Although there are surgical and laser therapies that have been described for the treatment of floaters, these are outside the scope of this discussion, and it is recommended that you be evaluated by your ophthalmologist to further discuss the available options for floaters. Medications and vitamins are also not generally considered the standard of care for floaters, although we again stress the importance of discussing these concerns with your opthalmologist.

Nearby Ophthalmologists

Other Ophthalmologists