Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What medicines help with watery eyes?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat medicines help with watery eyes?


What treatments are available for watery eyes? My eyes are often watery, but I don't think it's caused by allergies because I don't have any other symptoms. It's not a big problem, just an annoyance ? sometimes it makes my vision blurry. Is there a safe way to treat this?


Questions about the eyes or vision changes are best addressed by an ophthalmologist. Tears are an important part of the eye's natural physiology. They help keep the surface of the eye lubricated and make sure that irritants are continually flushed out of the eye. Excessive watering of the eyes can be caused by many things, including allergies; environmental irritants like smoke or chemical fumes; infections of the eye or eyelashes; blockage of the tear duct that drains tears out of the eye; a foreign body trapped in the eye; or a scratch or abrasion of part of the eye surface. Ironically, even dry eyes themselves can also cause excessively watery eyes, as the body's natural response to overly dry eyes is the stimulation of tears. Many of these conditions will often be associated with other symptoms which can help an evaluating physician identify what is causing the excessive tearing. An thorough eye exam may also be needed to check for foreign bodies, scratches, a blocked tear duct, dry eyes, or other changes with the eye itself. Treating watery eyes depends on the cause. Blocked tear ducts can be opened; eye infections and environmental allergies can be treated with medications; foreign bodies can be removed; and dry eyes can be treated with artificial tears. The most important thing to remember when it comes to eye health is that anything that causes changes in vision should be evaluated by an eye doctor who can make sure that there is nothing going on which could permanently jeopardize normal vision.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.