ZocdocAnswersAre recurring yeast infections a sign of herpes?

Question

Are recurring yeast infections a sign of herpes?

I'm 24 and I've been struggling for more than a year with a recurrent yeast infection. I've followed my doctors' advice to get rid of it, but it doesn't seem to go away. How can I treat it to really get rid of it? And could this be a sign that I have a deeper problem, like herpes?

Answer

Recurrent yeast infections can be a very distressing problem. In this case, your infections may or may not be a part of a deeper problem, but I do not think that herpes is that problem. Recurrent yeast infections can be caused by diabetes, the use of antibiotics, douching, pregnancy, or having an altered immune system. If you get recurrent yeast infections, you should be evaluated for these causes. While an dysfunctional immune system can cause yeast infections and recurrent outbreaks of genital herpes, the two are not causes of each other. The signs and symptoms of genital herpes are painful burning ulcers that form around the genitalia, and go away only to return later during times of stress or when the immune system is knocked down. It is caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus. Treatment is the use of antiviral drugs such as acyclovir which can reduce the frequency and length of an outbreak. Symptoms of genital herpes and a yeast infection are usually easy to tell apart and can be easily distinguished by a trained health care professional. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your doctor who can evaluate your symptoms again if you have them. There is always a chance you have other issues going on that can cause recurrent yeast infections. Good luck.