How do laproscopic and abdominal hysterectomies differ?

Are laproscopic hysterectomies really better than abdominal hysterectomies? I'm 45 and my doctor just recommended I get one. It would be more convenient to get an abdominal hysterectomy, because I'd have to go out-of-network for the laproscopic kind, so I'm just weighing my options.
Laproscopic and abdominal hysterectomies are different techniques for removing the uterus, and sometimes the cervix, fallopian tubes, and ovaries. They both serve the same function, but have different risks and levels of post-operative pain and scaring. The abdominal hysterectomy is the original surgical method where an incision is made along the abdomen for access to the organs when they are removed. The only advantage to doing it this way is if major complications were to happen (such as brisk bleeding), then they can be dealt with faster. The major downside is that they result in longer hospital stays, potentially more pain, and a larger scar across lower abdomen. Laparoscopic surgical removal involves placing three small incisions where a camera, and 2 surgical tools are inserted. The exact same procedure is then performed. The only disadvantage to this technique is that in a very small percentage of cases, the surgery needs to be converted to an abdominal technique to deal with complications that cannot be handled by the laparoscopic tools. The major advantage (and why its considered the best option for most patients) is that it results in shorter hospital stays, less pain, and much less scaring. So the answer to your question is that yes laparoscopic surgeries are preferred over open abdominal hysterectomies for most situations. I would schedule an appointment with the doctor you would like to do the operation and have him or her go through all the risks and benefits specific to your situation. Good luck.