Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Can taking Percocet while pregnancy affect a fetus?

I'm 7 months pregnant, and I just realized that I may have accidentally taken Percocet last week. (The bottle was next to the Tylenol bottle.) Now I'm very worried. If I did take Percocet, can this have somehow harmed my baby? Is there anything I can do now to help, or is it too late?
Before taking any medication while you are pregnant, you should always consult your OBGYN. Together you can determine the risks and benefits of any medication as it pertains your personal health. In this case, it is not recommended that you take percocet while your pregnant, unless you absolutely need it for unbearable pain symptoms. However, taking one percocet one time is not likely to have done your baby any harm. Let me explain. Percocet is a combination medication of both acetaminophen (active ingredient in Tylenol), and oxycodone (a narcotic analgesic). The acetaminophen within the recommended doses is quite safe for a developing baby. It should be what you reach for when you have pain during your pregnancy. Just make sure to ask your OBGYN how often is safe to take it. Oxycodone in a one time small dose is not that harmful to a baby. However, when taken regularly, the baby can be born addicted to the narcotic and can experience withdrawal symptoms. It can also cause respiratory depression in your baby if taken near the time of delivery. In summary, your baby is most likely fine, just try not to take any more. Speak with your OBGYN about this issue. They will have a method of controlling your symptoms in a safe way for your fetus.