Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What causes excessive clotting during periods?"


Lately, during my periods, I've been passing these large menstrual clots. I'm 30 and I've never had anything like this before. Is it possibly something to do with my diet, or because of weight gain? It's not really a problem, but I worry that it's caused by some kind of deeper problem.


Menstrual problems, including the passage of large clots, can be caused by many things. The doctors who are best qualified to help you deal with these problems include your primary care doctor and your OB/GYN. Variation from month to month with your period may mean that you at times pass clots.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Obgyns near you

If these are not recurrent or occurring in large volumes, and if your periods remain regular, then it is unlikely to be related to a larger problem. If your periods are becoming more irregular, then there may be a hormonal basis for the problem. Common hormonal problems that can result in menstrual irregularities include thyroid problems and polycystic ovarian syndrome. Both of these problems can be associated with weight gain. Structural problems with the uterus or the lining of the uterus can also cause heavy bleeding and clots. These include endometrial polyps, which often cause bleeding between periods also, and fibroids, which can result is heavy bleeding, clots, and cramping with periods. Heavy bleeding with periods can also be can also be a sign of an underlying blood clotting disorder, which can often be genetic. However this is more unlikely in a patient who previously was asymptomatic with periods. Definitive diagnosis of this condition will require an examination by your personal physician. Arranging an appointment with your primary care doctor or your OB/GYN is strongly recommended.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.