Are miscarriages more common after one's first child?

Are miscarriages more likely after you've had a child? I'm a mother of one, and my four-month pregnancy just ended in miscarriage. I don't want to go through this again, but I'd get pregnant again if it was just a fluke. Do the chances of miscarriage change like that? Or as I get older?
Going through a miscarriage, especially after a 4 month pregnancy, can be very traumatic. Of course you want to do whatever you can to prevent it from happening again. Unfortunately, the vast majority of miscarriages happen for unknown reasons and so giving a woman an answer to the question "Why" is difficult. In women who have had one miscarriage, they (on average) have a 1/5 (20%) chance of having a second one. This is a higher risk than women who have not had a miscarriage. I think this chance is well worth trying again, but you may feel different. Other factors that affect the rate of miscarriage are: 1. Age - The older you get, the higher the risk 2. Previous miscarriages increase the risk as stated above. 3. Smoking - if you are a smoker, this increases your risk 4. Alcohol - if you drink heavily, then you may have a higher risk 5. Use of Cocaine - this will definitely increase your risk 6. NSAIDS such as ibuprofen. Take Tylenol for pain while you are trying to get pregnant. I think your next best move should be to schedule an appointment with your OBGYN to discuss these issues. She will be able to give you advice that is in line with your medical history and your wishes. Good luck.

Nearby OB-GYNs