ZocdocAnswersAre abdominal pains a sign of ovary problems?

Question

Are abdominal pains a sign of ovary problems?

I've had vague abdominal pains that no doctor can seem to identify, and they've been bothering me for months .They're in my lower abdomen, and they don't seem connected to my lifestyle in other ways. My greatest fear is that this is affecting my fertility. What could this be? Is it my ovaries?

Answer

Abdominal pains can be a very distressing especially when we (doctors) have trouble diagnosing the problem. Keep track of the pattern of your symptoms very closely and present them to your primary care physician at your next visit. This detailed history of your pain along with a thorough physical exam usually can rule out most concerning problems. Abdominal pain has many causes and usually is determined by where it occurs. Pain in the right upper quadrant is often problems with the gall bladder, liver, or pancreas. Pain in the upper middle of your abdomen can be stomach issues. Pain in the right lower portion can be your appendix. These are just some of the common causes of abdominal pain. Pain associated with ovarian issues is most often located in the lower part of the abdomen and is usually only on one side. Vague generalized abdominal pains can be ovarian in origin, but that is less likely. Ovarian pain can be from ovulation, a cyst, or torsion (when the ovary twists). I should also note that ovarian pain does not always affect fertility, it depends on the cause. For example ovarian cysts can cause discomfort, but don't always effect your ability to get pregnant. Usually vague abdominal pains are caused by normal bowel activity that produce discomfort for some patients. However, this should not preclude you from getting checked out by your doctor. Good luck, and I hope you feel better.