ZocdocAnswersIs vaginitis possible without vaginal discharge?

Question

Is vaginitis possible without vaginal discharge?

I think I've got a lot of the symptoms of vaginitis. I'm 34 years old and this is the first time this has ever happened. But on the other hand, I don't have any vaginal discharge, which is supposed to be one of the main symptoms of vaginitis. What is wrong with me? Vaginitis or something else?

Answer

Vaginitis is a common condition. I would encourage you to talk to your primary physician or ob/gyn as there are serious conditions taht should be ruled out. Vaginitis can in fact occur without vaginal discharge. In general, there maybe smaller amounts of discharge that can occur--however it never leaves the vaginal canal. Your doctor can do a vaginal exam (as if doing a pap smear) to examine for this discharge. This is important as the three most common causes of vaginitis (yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis--which is a change in the vaginal floara, and trichomonas) includes a sexually transmitted disease (trichomonas). Other causes of these symptoms (vaginal itching and pain) include other sexually transmitted disease. Herpes is a common condition--which often includes small vesicles or bumps that are painful. Chlamydia or gonorrhea can also do this. You need to have these conditions ruled out as sexually transmitted disease can affect both you and your partner (s). Finally, other condition in the skin could cause problems if there were in the vaginal area. Jock itch (a fungal infection of the skin) is common. Bacterial infection--or cellulitis--can cause painful, red and warm skin. Finally allergic reaction to underwear or detergent is not uncommon. Talk with your doctor. These are serious conditions that are easily treated. Good luck!