We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Can a woman get pregnant after her tubes are tied?

I'm considering getting my tubes tied, because I definitely don't want to have any more children. But I've heard that it's actually possible for a woman to still get pregnant after getting her tubes tied, but it's really bad for you. Is this true? Are there different ways to get the procedure done that are totally effective?
Getting a tubal ligation is a very effective method greatly reducing the likelihood that you will get pregnant. There are different methods, some of them more invasive than others, but over the long term they are nearly equally effective. A tubal ligation is 99 percent effective at preventing pregnancy. This means that failure of the procedure is very rare, but does happen. Most of time failure occurs, it is because the fallopian tube becomes reconnected, or perhaps a surgical clip falls off. When this occurs the risk of getting pregnant increases. When a women does get pregnant after having a surgical ligation, there a much higher chance of that pregnancy being ectopic (outside the uterus). Ectopic pregnancies can be dangerous and need medical or surgical removal right away. The thing to keep in mind is that there are no 100% effective options for contraception other than abstinence and total hysterectomy, neither good options. Other options such as the IUD can be equally effective without any operation. Your OBGYN will be best equipped to go through these options with you. He or she will be able to evaluate your desires and come up with the best option for your situation. Good luck.

Nearby OB-GYNs