Which diet works fastest?

I'm almost 40 and I'm sick to death of my yo-yo weight problem. In the past, I just went with whatever diet sounded good, but I never stuck to them and they never worked. What should I do? I want a diet that actually has some science behind it, but there's so much information out there, it's impossible to decide. Can you recommend one?
Healthy weight loss can be overwhelmingly challenging, and yo-yoing only makes trying to lose weight more discouraging. Before starting any diet, please please consult with your primary care physician first. There diets out there that may help you lose weight in the short term, but does not work in the long term and can be detrimental to your general nutrition. There are hundreds of diets out there that claim to work miracles. Before considering any diet keep this cold hard fact in mind: All weight loss is caused by burning more calories than you eat, period. If you burn more than you eat, your body has to turn to its fat stores, it has not other choice. Because this fact is true, weight loss at its core is very simple. However, as you well know, it is NOT simple to actually carry out. The only way to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way, is to permanently change your diet and add a daily exercise routine. The combination of these two will help you burn more calories than you take in. Start with obtaining most of your calories from fruits and vegetables. Do not eat candy, white bread, or anything with white flower. These foods are dense in calories. Your primary care physician may have a more detailed plan he or she can present to you. He or she should be involved at every step as you begin your journey towards getting healthier. Good luck.