Do certain foods aggravate cystitis?

I'm a woman in my 20s and I'm fighting off a case of cystitis. My doctor prescribed antibiotics, but I feel like there's more I should do. Besides drinking a lot of water, what foods can I eat to help keep my urinary tract healthy and free of bacteria?
Questions about bladder infections or painful urination can be addressed by a primary care physician. Depending on the circumstances, a urologist or obstetrician-gynecologist may also be consulted. Bladder infections--or cystitis--can be very painful. They are also one of the most common reasons women will seek medical care. It is important to take the full course of any antibiotics prescribed by your doctor to treat a bladder infection. This will help make sure the infection is treated completely and does not return. To help prevent bladder infections, it is important to stay hydrated and urinate regularly. This helps keep urine moving through the urinary tract and prevent bacteria from growing and causing a painful infection. It is also helpful to avoid substances that may irritate the bladder. This includes both alcohol and caffeine. With regard to specific food products, there is some evidence that drinking cranberry juice can help prevent bladder infections. It is thought that substances found in the cranberry juice can help prevent bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder. It may also be helpful to eat yogurt with live cultures (lactobacilli). These so-called 'good bacteria' may help prevent infection with disease-causing bacteria.

Nearby Urologists

Other Urologists