How serious are pelvic hairline fractures?

After I gave birth to my last child, a technician who examined my pelvis said it looked like I had a hairline fracture. If that's true, how serious a medical situation is it? Does it make further childbearing a dangerous prospect for me, or am I in the clear?
Anytime we injury-fracture-1093">fracture a bone, it can be a cause for concern about what this means for our future. Since no two pelvic fractures are the same, I would suggest you pose this question to your OBGYN. After reviewing the imaging, he or she will likely be able to give you more accurate information. A pelvic hairline fracture is a stress fracture that usually occurs in females that actively exercise regularly. They usually take between 4 and 8 weeks to heal completely. During pregnancy, a lot of stress is placed on your pelvis during vaginal delivery of a child. A history of a pelvic stress fracture should not cause you to have any issue during delivery. Your pelvis will be well healed by then. If for some reason you sustain a more serious injury to your pelvis, there are always other options for infant deliver (i.e. C-section). I would suggest you schedule an appointment soon with your OBGYN. Make sure to get a copy of your records including the imaging (x-ray) that showed the hairline fracture. If you switch OBGYNs, make sure that he or she knows about his part of your past medical history. Good luck with your new munchkin.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons