Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Does nose spray stop a runny nose?

I've tried almost everything to stop my nasal drip ? it never lets up. But it just occurred to me now that maybe there's an over the counter type nose spray I could use to deal with it. Can a nose spray dry up a mucus drip, or do I just have to live with this?
There are many different approaches to chronic nasal drip, and nasal spray certainly is an effective option. First, it is worthwhile to determine the cause of the nasal drip. Have the symptoms occurred in the recent setting of a viral upper respiratory tract infection (i.e. post-infectious nasal drip) or is the nasal drip associated with any season or other allergic symptoms of itchy eyes, sneezing, etc (this is an allergic rhinitis)? In the case of post-infectious nasal drip, the symptoms with likely improve on their own after a few weeks, but a nasal spray such as afrin or flonase (prescription) can help reduce symptoms. similarly, allergic rhinitis is effectively treated with nasal spray, flonase in this case is the medication of choice. additionally, use of non-sedating anti-histamines such as claritin or zyrtec may help improve symptoms of allergic rhinitis. The nasal sprays fall into two main categories: steroid and non-steroid. the steroid sprays (e.g. flonase) help reduce the inflammation in the nasal passages. the non-steroid sprays (e.g. afrin) aim to constrict the vessels in the nasal passages. the end result in similar in that the cause of a nasal drip is leaky blood vessels in the nasal passages due to inflammation. afrin can actually be habit forming as prolonged use can lead to rebound congestion and should only be used for a few days at a time, whereas the flonase type medicines are generally safer and more effective and can be used for longer duration of therapy.
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)