Book now. It's free!

What do red spots on the chest area indicate?

I'm an 18 year old guy, and I'm trying to figure out why I have red spots on my chest. They're like small blotches, and they're scattered over my whole chest. They don't hurt or itch, but it still seems like they're a sign of some deeper problem. What are they?
Skin rashes are a difficult problem. They often cause us no symptoms other than their appearance and so sometimes we let them go without treatment for a long time. All skin issues should be evaluated first by your primary care physician and then perhaps a dermatologist if the diagnosis or treatment (if necessary) is in question. Red spots on the chest could be one of many different things. 3 possibilities are hives, tinea versicolor, and psoriasis. Hives (or urticaria) are very common red skin patches that can appear either because of an allergic reaction or even during times of stress. They typically itch, but they don't have to. Tinea versicolor is a skin fungal infection that causes red or light colored patches that neither hurt or itch. Psoriasis is a skin condition with red patches, often on the elbows, that can be genetic. They often itch, but they don't hurt. I suggest you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician to have the spots looked at. They may have no importance, or they may be a part of another syndrome. At least after you get the checked out you will have a piece of mind that you know what they are. Good luck.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!