ZocdocAnswersWhat pockmark treatments don't use lasers?

Question

What pockmark treatments don't use lasers?

I'd like to get my pockmarked acne scars softened, but I have a pathological fear of lasers. Is there some way to do it without lasers? I've seen ads for 'abrasion', but I have no idea what that is or if it's safe. What is the clinically preferred way to do this?

Answer

There are many treatments for acne scars or pockmarks, including some that require medical supervision. The doctors who are best qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. A common treatment for pockmarks is a scar treatment cream. These can be found in your local pharmacy. Also various spa treatments, such as massages (or even massaging your own face), can sometimes results in improved skin tone and color which may make your skin appear less scarred. If these methods do not work, some spas will offer chemical peels, which remove a layer of skin, given the skin under a more vibrant youthful look. These do not actually remove scars but may improve skin tone which can improve the appearance of the skin. More invasive methods include microabrasion treatment, which can be performed only be a licensed professional. Finally, in severe cases your dermatologist may discuss the injecting collagen or other skin fillers into some scars or laser-based skin resurfacing. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concern can only be done by a physician who has performed a physical examination in person. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is therefore recommended.