What are Granulosa Cell Tumors?

I went to the doctor with a lump on my testicle. He is investigating it, and now he wants to do a biopsy. He says It might be a granuloma cell tumor, and that it could even be benign. What does this mean? Isn't any kind of tumor a problem? Would I have to get surgery?
Anytime we develop a new growth, there is always concern and anxiety about not knowing what it is. For this, you have my sympathy. A Granulosa Cell Tumor is a type of testicular (or ovarian in women) tumor which arises from sex cord stroma (embryonic structure). Granulosa cells themselves are only found in women, and the analogous cell in the testicle is called the Sertoli cell. However, the Granulosa Cell Tumor cells more closely resemble the Granulosa cells over the Sertoli cells which is the reason they are classified as such. Unfortunately we don't know that much about testicular Granulosa cell tumors because they are extremely rare. In fact, I wouldn't put my money on a Granulosa cell tumor until the biopsy is done and the results are back. What we do know about them is that most of them are benign and can be treated with removal of the tumor. They can sometimes cause symptoms such as gynecomastia (male breast tenderness and enlargement). Please remember that until you get the results of your biopsy, there is no way to be sure what type of tumor you have. There are some testicular tumors that may not need surgery and can be treated with radiation, chemotherapy, or possibly be left alone. I would schedule the next step of your work-up very soon so that you can get to the bottom of this issue.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024