ZocdocAnswersDo moles normally form in the groin region?

Question

Do moles normally form in the groin region?

I have several moles in my groin, which I always thought was normal ? until my girlfriend said she's never seen such a thing. Is it really abnormal for a mole to form in the groin region? If so, does that mean that I might have a significant medical issue of some sort?q

Answer

Moles are one of the most common medical conditions and are generally a benign condition. Occasionally they require medical supervision or treatment. The physicians who will be qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. Moles (also called nevi) are small colored areas of the skin that are caused by collections of pigmented cells called melanocytes which are grouped under the skin. Moles can occur in any part of the skin, including the groin, and they are generally benign regardless of the location. Rarely, moles can transform into a dangerous type of skin cancer called malignant melanoma. Therefore, you should always pay attention to any moles you have and observe them for warning signs which include: moles that are larger than 6 mm, moles with irregular borders or changing raised features, moles with multiple colors within their borders, or moles which are growing or otherwise changing rapidly. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor or dermatologist may be advisable, especially if the moles you have exhibit any of the warning signs that are discussed above.