Does mole removal always result in scarring?

Does it always leave a scar when a mole is removed? In my case, it's pretty important because the mole in question is on my cheek. Frankly, I'd rather have the mole than a scar. Does the question of whether it scars or not depend on the removal technique the doctors use?
Questions about mole removal are best answered by a dermatologist. Depending upon the size and shape of the mole, as well as its location, it may be best to see a dermatologist with specialized training in cosmetic techniques. Removing any kind of skin lesion will almost always leave some kind of scar because of the fact that a part of the skin has been removed. However, there are many steps that can be taken to minimize scarring. First, removing moles or any kind of skin lesion from the face can be done using surgical techniques that minimize scarring and aid in the healing process. In particular, some dermatologists will have specialized training in a procedure called Mohs surgery, in which skin is removed in a way that helps avoid scarring as much as possible. Mohs surgical procedures often take longer than other types of surgery, but they can be very useful in cosmetically sensitive areas such as the face. Second, there are a variety of creams and gels that can be used post-procedure to help the skin heal and minimize the appearance of any incisions. Overall, if you are considering having a mole removed, it is best to be evaluated by a dermatologist who can examine the specific mole in question and discuss possible risks of having it removed.

Nearby Dermatologists