ZocdocAnswersCan MRIs detect prostate abcesses?

Question

Can MRIs detect prostate abcesses?

I'm a 29-year-old guy with hemorrhoids, and I'm wondering if they can actually cause loose stool. Recently, they've gotten worse and I've started having uncharacteristic bowel problems. If they're not the culprit (actually, even if they are), then where should I go from here?

Answer

Any time you have a sudden sustained change in the character of your stool, you should bring this up with your doctor. In this case, I do not thing that your loose stool is related to your hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are abnormally large blood vessels that reside near the anus. Their main problem is that they bleed very easily resulting in bright red blood appearing after a bowel movement. Patients with hemorrhoids will notice blood when they wipe. Thus it sounds like your main problem now is that you are having new loose stools. This can have many causes. The most common is probably a viral gastrointestinal infection which causes nausea and diarrhea. If you have recently changed your diet, you may be eating something that you can't absorb resulting in looser stools. The only way to be sure is to get in to see your doctor. I would start today keeping close track of all of your bowel movement including the number per day, character (loose or hard), abnormal smell, and color. Also include in this record what you ate this day and any other symptom you may be having. At the same time schedule an appointment with your primary care physician (family doctor or internal medicine doctor) so that you can be evaluated. Good luck.