ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of meningitis?

Question

What are the symptoms of meningitis?

I've had a fever since this morning. Now it's night time and it's definitely getting worse. I also have a stiff neck. That might be unrelated, but when I looked online, I kept coming across meningitis. I get that meningitis is serious ? how would I know if I definitely have it.

Answer

Meningitis is an inflammation of the tissues surrounding the brain. It can be caused by both bacteria and viruses. It is a very serious disease and if you think that you may have meningitis, you should seek immediate attention in an emergency room. Meningitis causes several typical symptoms. People with meningitis have a fever due to the infection. The infection also causes patients to be confused and to not act like themselves. Meningitis causes a severe headache that you often feel throughout your entire head. Finally, meningitis leads to neck stiffness because of the inflammation. Neck stiffness makes it difficult to bend your neck, which means that it is hard to touch your chin to your chest. Meningitis cannot be diagnosed only on the symptoms of fever, neck stiffness, confusion, and headache. A doctor needs to perform a spinal tap, which involves removing a small amount of fluid from around the spine and analyzing it under a microscope. The strong recommendation is to proceed to a hospital to be evaluated for this serious disease if it is suspected.