ZocdocAnswersIs fatigue a symptom of ovarian cysts?

Question

Is fatigue a symptom of ovarian cysts?

Is fatigue a symptom of ovarian cysts? My mom and aunt have both had them, so I'm pretty sure they run in my family. I haven't had any of the bloating or abdominal pain, but I have felt really drained of all energy over the last few months. Could this be the first warning sign?

Answer

There are many different types of ovarian cysts which have many different types symptoms. Bloating and abdominal pain are definitely a symptom of many of them. A quick review of the different types of cysts are: 1. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome: This syndrome is a very common cause of ovarian cysts. Patients often report very irregular periods, weight gain, some abnormal hair growth and occasionally diabetes. Fatigue can be a symptom, but it usually accompanies the aforementioned symptoms. 2. Endometriosis - Will cause abdominal pain that cycles with periods. Pain can be severe, but does not usually cause fatigue. 3. Dermoid cysts - Very common. May cause some abdominal discomfort but otherwise are mostly asymptomatic. They rarely progress to anything dangerous. Feeling really drained is more commonly caused by other conditions and syndromes. For example feeling drained is a symptom of depression. You may have a low blood count. Also, having low thyroid hormone is an extremely common cause of feeling really drained of energy. I would schedule an appointment with your primary care physician first to discuss these symptoms. You want to rule out other possibilities of your low energy. If nothing is found, then you can present to your OBGYN to get evaluated for an ovarian cyst. Good luck.