ZocdocAnswersCan the pelvis have tendonitis?

Question

Can the pelvis have tendonitis?

Can you get tendonitis anywhere, including your pelvis? I've been having a really unpleasant soreness in my pelvis that reminds me somewhat of tennis elbow. I haven't done any repetitive movements with my pelvis, but I still wonder. If it is tendonitis, how can I take care of it?

Answer

Tendonitis is the inflammation of a tendon. It can occur anywhere there is a tendon. So yes, tendonitis can occur in the pelvis as there are tendons in the pelvis. That being said, there are also other important and vital structures in the area that can cause life threatening pain. If your symptoms do not resolve, I would encourage you to see your primary care doctor. Tendonitis is a common problem. But moreso then that, inflammation is extremely common. This inflammation can occur in tendon, muscles or ligaments. This accounts for many common aches and pains that people feel in their elbows, joints, knees or shoulders. The most common cause is is a repetitive motion, but other minor traumas (like stretching or pulling) can cause this. The best way to treat the inflammation (regardless of location) is the RICE treatment. This stands for rest, ice, compression and elevation. This is hard for the hip (easier for the ankle) but rest and ice is important. As for medicines, NSAID medicines like ibuprofen or naproxen are the best for the pain. Kidney and stomach problems may limit NSAID use. If the pain continues, I would see your doctor. There can be problems in the joint (like hip arthritis) that gives similar symptoms. In addition, the pelvis has vital structures like the colon, bladder, prostate or uterus that can be damaged. See your doctor for further information.