Can one get cold sores on their tongue?

I have the oral herpes virus, and normally it's does very little. But every once in a while, I'll see a serious flareup. Right now, I've got a sore on my tongue ? is it possible that it's a herpes lesion? I really need to know whether I'm contagious right now or this is just a fluke.
The quick answer to this is yes. In bad outbreaks oral herpes can show up on the tongue. Since this is occurring while you are having your other typical symptoms, this is likely just one of your more serious flair ups. As you probably know, oral herpes is a viral infection that the body never really clears. It hides out in the cell bodies of nerves and can reappear during times of stress or when the immune system is a little run down. While there are no cures for oral herpes, there are drugs such as acyclovir and valacyclovir (Valtrex) which can reduce the frequency of the attacks and reduce the length of them when they do occur. The drug can be taken daily for people with frequent attacks, or when you first start feeling symptoms. Of course there is no way for me to tell for sure what's ailing your tongue without seeing it myself. I suggest you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician to have them looked at. This way you can be formally diagnosed. Remember, there are treatments out there to reduce the frequency and duration of each attack. You should consider these treatments if you symptoms are severe. Good luck.