ZocdocAnswersCan diet affect platelet count?

Question

Can diet affect platelet count?

Can a bad diet lower your platelet count? My doctor ran some blood work on me, and her results showed that my platelet count was dangerously low. Now she wants to investigate whether I have a serious disease ? but couldn't it just be that my poor diet has brought down my platelet count?

Answer

A low platelet count has many different causes and without knowing your other symptoms, and the other numbers on your blood work, it is impossible for me to determine the cause. Nevertheless, I think I can help shed some light on you situation. A low platelet count is known as thrombocytopenia. A low platelet count can be caused by diet, but this would be exceedingly rare without other more prominent signs and symptoms. Vitamin B12 and folic acid are 2 vitamins that are required for platelet production which can be deficient in some cases. You should be tested for levels of these two vitamins as a part of your work-up. A much more common causes of thrombocytopenia is an immune system attack on your platelets known as immune thrombocytopenia or (ITP). This is where your immune system begins to attack your platelets and they drop in number. Another cause which is more concerning is a blood malignancy such as leukemia or lymphoma. These conditions need to be ruled out whenever someone presents with thrombocytopenia. A low platelet count can put you at risk of major bleeding. Therefore it is important that you have this finding worked up completely. Schedule another appointment with your doctor soon to get to the bottom of this. Good luck.