Are enlarged blood cells dangerous?

When I was a kid, I was prone to bloody noses. At some point I was seen by a doctor who I seem to recall saying I had enlarged blood cells. I never really followed through on this, but now I'm curious ? is that a real condition? If so, how serious is it and what is the treatment for it?
Enlarged blood cells can mean several different things and without seeing the results of your blood counts, it will be hard to tell what you may or may not have had. For the most part, being prone to bloody noses is more related to blood clotting, not the size of the blood cells, so they are probably not related, but I can't be sure. Enlarged red blood cells can be caused by a many different factors. The most common are Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid deficiencies. These two vitamins are critical for blood cell production and when the body doesn't have enough of them the cells enlarge. This is treated with vitamin supplementation. Another cause of enlarged blood cells is a hereditary condition called hereditary spherocytosis. This can cause anemia and an enlarged spleen. The treatment for this condition is having your spleen removed. I should also note, that slightly enlarged blood cells can be normal in some people and are not a cause for concern. If this is something you are concerned about, I would suggest seeing your primary care physician soon so that you can have repeat blood counts and coagulation tests. This will give you a piece of mind that your issues are being taken care of. Good luck.

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045