ZocdocAnswersIs muscle fatigue associated with mono?

Question

Is muscle fatigue associated with mono?

One of my really close friends had mononucleosis a while back. Now I'm getting sicker and sicker. I'm typing this from bed where I've been since yesterday. But one thing I have that my friend never did is serious muscle fatigue. Is that typical of mono or do I have something even worse?!

Answer

Infectious mononucleosis, commonly referred to as mono, is caused by transmission of the very common Epstein-Barr Virus. While most people are exposed to this virus at a very young age, some people are exposed for a first time when they are slightly older. Classically, this involves teenagers and young adults who contract the virus through saliva. The most common symptom reported by the vast majority of patients with mono is significant and profound fatigue. Other common symptoms include sore throat, low-grade fevers, swollen lymph nodes, muscle aches, headaches, and nausea. Muscle aches in combination with generalized malaise can give you the sensation of serious muscle fatigue. However, as many of these symptoms are not specific, your illness could be due to a number of other causes (for example, the flu). In any case, it would be worth going to your primary care physician to get a check-up. Through physical exam and blood tests, your doctor should be able to confirm or rule out a diagnosis of mononucleosis. It would be important to know your diagnosis, so that you can prevent its transmission to others, and take appropriate measures to aid in your recovery.