ZocdocAnswersCan skin tags form on top of the anus?

Question

Can skin tags form on top of the anus?

Is it actually possible for a skin tag to form on top of the anus? I have skin tags all over the place and they have never bothered me before. But this one ? I can't get a good look at it, but I'm hoping it's just a skin tag. Either way, is it prone to infection? Should I have it removed?

Answer

There are several causes of skin tags and other skin problems around the anus. The physicians qualified to assist you with this problem include your primary care doctor or your gastroenterologist. Skin tags can form anywhere on the skin surface, especially in people who already have a number of them. They are often characterized by their fleshy and stretchable nature, and they are often attached to the underlying skin at a slightly narrower point. Other causes of skin protrusion around the anus include anogenital warts, a sexually transmitted disease caused by the human papilloma virus. These anal warts can occur in any sexually active person, but they are most common in persons who already have genital warts or in those who have anal sex. Finally, skin protrusions around the anus may be a sign of another underlying condition. For example, inflammatory bowel disease, which is characterized by abdominal pain and abnormal and sometimes bloody bowel movements, can often cause fissures in the rectum and anus which can lead to an overlying 'sentinel' skin tag. As always, diagnosis of your condition will require an examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor or gastroenterologist to discuss the condition is recommended.