ZocdocAnswersDoes anger cause chest pain?

Question

Does anger cause chest pain?

Is it possible to target one area and burn fat there? I'm thinner than I used to be, but I still have fat on my stomach that I can't get rid of. I've heard contradictory things about whether it's possible to target problem spots. Will situps or similar stomach exercises burn belly fat, or not?

Answer

You seem to be asking several questions here. The first, "does anger cause chest pain?" is the most important, as any chest pain (angina, in doctor speak) can be a sign of a heart attack, or insufficient blood flow to parts of your heart. When a person gets angry, their blood pressure and heart rate will rise, and the heart has to work harder. As this happens, if there is a blockage, parts of the heart will be deprived of oxygen, and people will start to feel a pain in their chest, jaw, or shoulder (among other symptoms, although some people have no symptoms at all). If you are experiencing chest pain, you should speak to a physician immediately. The second question is less urgent, and the answer is disappointing to most people. The unfortunate fact is that exercises will not cause the body to remove fat from any one spot more than another, just by changing the type of exercise. Situps or abdominal exercises WILL cause the underlying muscle to hypertrophy, or get bigger, which will make your stomach more firm and possibly look better. In order to remove the fat, however, you need to have a negative energy balance, meaning that you need to burn more calories than you consume. Again, the most important question is your chest pain. Please speak to a doctor immediately if you are feeling chest pain.