How large do hypoechoic lesions get?

I'm 45, and breast cancer runs in my family. So recently, I had a routine mammogram with some abnormal results. The doctor found a 'hypoechoic lesion', which he basically described as a big dark spot. What does it mean that I have this lesion? Will it continue to grow? What can we do about it?
Hypoechoic lesions in the breasts are a finding that is sometimes identified on breast ultrasound. This finding can be benign or concerning for breast cancer. Physicians who will be qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor, your OB / GYN doctor, or your surgeon. Hypoechoic is a physical description of a breast mass or cyst that is discovered by ultrasound. Ultrasound is often used to screen for breast cancer or to examine breast lumps in younger women or after finding an abnormality on a screening mammogram. It is difficult to comment more specifically on the significance of 'hypoechoic' without knowing more about the imaging findings. However, it is certainly the case that although many hypoechoic lesions are benign, some can contain breast cancer. Given your family history of breast cancer, it is likely that your physician will want to review these images and subsequently may wish to obtain a biopsy of the spot to determine whether cancer is present or not. As always, the diagnosis and management of your particular situation will require a physical examination and review of your breast imaging results by your personal physician. It is strongly recommended that you schedule an appointment with your doctor soon to discuss these findings.