ZocdocAnswersIs pelvic pain normal during pregnancy?

Question

Is pelvic pain normal during pregnancy?

I'm 5 months pregnant with my first child (I'm 20), so naturally I have a bunch of worries and questions. The most important is about my pelvis, which has been hurting more and more over the last 3 weeks. Is it normal for a pregnant woman to feel pelvic pain as the baby bears down on her bones?

Answer

Pelvic pain during pregnancy is quite common and is generally benign. However at times it can require medical treatment. The physician best qualified to discuss this issue with you is your OB / GYN doctor. There are many causes of pelvic pain, some of which are not related to pregnancy. For example, sexually transmitted infections can cause pelvic pain; these causes are checked for during the routine prenatal care of every patient. Similarly, ovarian cysts or torsion and occasionally appendicitis can present as pelvic pain which is general severe in nature. Bleeding behind the placenta or other serious threats to the pregnancy can also present as pelvic pain, often accompanied by vaginal bleeding and loss of fetal movement. The most common cause of pelvic pain during pregnancy, however, is much more benign and is caused by relaxation of the pelvic ligaments as a natural part of the pregnancy. Generally this is characterized by intermittent twinges of pelvic discomfort which do not require any treatment. However, if the pain becomes quite severe, it can represent a more severe form known as symphysis pubis dysfunction, which is often treated by specialized obstetric physiotherapy. As always the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling a visit with your OB / GYN doctor is highly recommended.