ZocdocAnswersDoes pregnancy affect the texture of one's hair?

Question

Does pregnancy affect the texture of one's hair?

I'm a 29 year old mom who just got pregnant again. I noticed, though, that the texture of my hair is changing from coarser and thicker to thinner and finer. Am I imagining this, or is it a real thing? What can I do to bulk up my hair growth and keep it as healthy as possible during the pregnancy?

Answer

Pregnancy can have many effects on the body of the mother, including skin and hair changes. If you have concerns about this, physicians who will be qualified to discuss it with you include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. A major feature of pregnancy is high levels of hormones, including estrogens, circulating in the blood. These hormones have effects not only on the growth of the baby but on all aspects of the mother's body as well! Many women notice that their hair is fuller and thicker during pregnancy. However, a small number experience the reverse and state that their hair is thinner, drier, and more brittle. Although this problem will often get better after the birth, it is possible to minimize damage during the pregnancy also. Your doctor will likely advise that you use a high-quality conditioner more often than you normally would to maintain your hair's moisture. Gentle brushing to minimize breakage may also help. Rarely, these hair changes are related to a thyroid problem rather than to the pregnancy itself. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is recommended.