ZocdocAnswersIs pelvic pain associated with chlamydia?

Question

Is pelvic pain associated with chlamydia?

I had a case of chlamydia (I'm a woman in my 20s, by the way) several months ago which I worked my way through and finally got clear of. At least, I though I had ? but now I've got pain in my pelvis. Is that related or not? Either way, what should I do about it? It's just a dull ache in my pelvis.

Answer

THIS IS SERIOUS, YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR TODAY. As you know, chlamydia is a sexually transmitted infection that causes cervicitis (inflammation of the cervix). It is the most common STD worldwide. It is the type of infection that needs treated with an antibiotic before it can be cleared. Typically patients are treated for both chlamydia and gonorhhea at the same time since the infections are hard to distinguish from each other and they often co-exist. Pelvic pain shortly after a chlamydial infection needs to be evaluated immediately. This is because pelvic pain in the setting of chlamydia may be pelvic inflammatory disease. This is when the infection moves from your cervix up into your uterus and fallopian tubes. It can cause abscesses to perform that need drainage and most importantly can effect your fertility long term. If you were treated with a full course of antibiotics for your chlamydia, then the pain may be from something else, but you don't want to take that chance. I would call your primary care physician's office today to be seen as soon as possible. If they cannot get you in, you need to present to the emergency room. They will do a thorough physical exam and determine if you need a course of antibiotics.