Can weight loss pills curb cravings?

I've seen weight loss pills for sale all over the place, and I want to know if they can actually control your cravings for food. I don't actually want to overeat, but I find that I just eat impulsively if the food is there. I feel like a medicine is the best way to deal with this, but is it just a scam?
You are correct, there are weight loss pills for sale everywhere. There are no weight loss pills available that are without side effects, and many of them do not work. However, in certain selected patients, drugs for weight loss are recommended by physicians. It is unsafe for you to choose the right therapy for you without consultation from a qualified health care professional. There are multiple medications out there that reduce appetite and cravings for food. Many of them have the side effect of increasing your blood pressure or altering your mood. If you already have high blood pressure, these medicines likely will not be right for you. Others act through binding fat in your intestine to reduce the amount of calories absorbed. These can cause diarrhea and other side effects. My suggestion is that you schedule an appointment with you primary care physician. He or she can recommend a route for weight loss that takes into account your past medical history and personal risk factors. Remember, no matter what he or she prescribes, weight loss has to occur by eating less calories than you burn. That formula is the one consistency in all successful weight loss strategies. Good luck.

• Dr. James Morgan
    Dr. James Morgan MD
    330 Northgate Drive
    Manteca, CA 95336
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217