Is anxiety related to hypothyroidism?

I am pretty sure I have hypothyroidism and I'm working on getting it treated. In the meantime, though, I have been dealing with anxiety and depression. My partner suggested that it might be related to my thyroid. Is that possible? If so, will the same treatment take care of all of these problems at once?
Hypothyroidism is one of the most common endocrine disorders. Typical symptoms are cold intolerance (always turning the heat up), course hair, slow heart rate, constipation, fatigue, weight gain, and depression. While anxiety is not typically a part of this syndrome, in many patients depression and anxiety go hand in hand. Hypothyroidism is diagnosed by a blood test looking for high levels of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). TSH is a pituitary hormone which stimulates the thyroid gland to release thyroid hormone. If the thyroid gland isn't working properly, then TSH will be high. Treatment for hypothyroidism is the replacement hormone known as Levothyroxine or Synthroid. There are a variety of "natural" thyroid replacement supplements sold at health food stores. These concoctions are very dangerous and should never be taken. I would schedule an appointment with your primary care physician very soon. If you report any suspicious symptoms they will order the TSH test. If you situation is at atypical or complex, then your doctor may refer you to an endocrinologist. If your TSH is found to be normal, then you should consider treatment of your depression with a standard antidepressant. Most physicians treat depression starting with a class of medicines called the SSRIs (look them up for more information). Depressive symptoms should not be ignored. Good luck.