ZocdocAnswersIs there a link between blackheads and diabetes?

Question

Is there a link between blackheads and diabetes?

Is there a link between diabetes and blackheads? I am a type 1 diabetic and it definitely seems like I get more blackheads than anyone I know. I might just be a little self-conscious about it, but it also makes intuitive sense to me that if diabetes dries your skin, you might be more susceptible. Is this true?

Answer

Diabetes can be associated with a number of skin conditions. Physicians who would be qualified to help you with any skin complications related to diabetes include your primary care physician and your dermatologist. Although diabetes can be associated with a number of skin conditions, it is not clearly associated with the development of blackheads. Diabetes can at times suffer from dry skin, which in theory may result in greater pore clogging and require close attention to facial hygiene. On the other hand, as diabetes affects the body's immune system, skin infections, such as pimples, boils, and nail infections can be much more common. Similarly, fungal infections of the skin are more common in people with diabetes. Due to dryness of the skin and other factors, diabetics often complain of itchy skin. If itchy skin is scratched excessively, this can lead to scarring, infection, or blemishes. Finally, a condition called diabetic dermopathy, which is caused by diabetes-induced changes in small blood vessels, produces light brown patches of skin which often appear on the shins but can be found on any skin surface. As always, diagnosis and treatment of your condition will require an examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist is recommended.