Click to book now:

Can colder temperatures trigger nausea?

Ever since the weather turned cold a few weeks ago, I've noticed that stepping outside makes me nauseated for a few minutes. On one hand I've thought that maybe this is just a reaction to the cold... is that possible? On the other hand, if it's moving around and exercising, I should probably see a doctor, right?
Nausea that is situational can have several causes. Cold weather is typically not one of those triggers, but everyone is a little different. I think that I would look for other causes of your nausea that are more common first before chalking it up to the cold. A couple of examples of things that can make you nauseous are pregnancy (if you are female of course), or if you are suffering from vertigo. Vertigo is a sensation of spinning that can cause nausea. It has several causes but the most common is Benin Positional Vertigo. This type can be brought on by movement in a specific direction. What you should do next depends on the severity of your symptoms, whether or not they are persistent or intermittent, and whether they are stable or progressively worsening. If your symptoms are not severe, they are intermittent, and stable, then you might decide to just call your primary care physician and describe your symptoms so that he or she can triage you. If your symptoms are severe, persistent, or worsening, then you should schedule an appointment with your doctor right away. The reason for this is that nausea that is bothersome and getting worse requires a full work up.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!