ZocdocAnswersCan one have polyps in their nose?

Question

Can one have polyps in their nose?

This is a weird question, but can you get a polyp in your nose? I was cleaning my nose last night and found a weird, dense bump on the inside of my left nostril. It feels for all the world like a blister or something. If it is a polyp, so to speak, is it dangerous? Will I ultimately need to treat it at all, or can I just let it go?

Answer

If you have developed a new mass in your nostril, you should have it evaluated by a doctor. Small masses within the nose can be (as you said), a nasal polyp. These are more common than you would think and thus you question isn't weird at all. Nasal polyps are small overgrowths of cells from the lining of the nose. They usually feel like a hard, painless mass. Most of the time, they do not cause any real problems. However, sometimes they can cause blockage of the nasal passages resulting in difficulty breathing, dampening of the sense of smell, or development of sinus infections. Most polyps are caused by uncontrolled allergies. Aspirin has also been associated with nasal poly formation. If you are taking aspirin for pain control, you should consider switching to another medicine. If you are taking aspirin for your heart, don't stop it until you talk to your doctor. I think that this is something that you should bring up with your primary care physician. He or she can review your medical history, medications you are taking (if any) and determine the likelihood of your bump causing a problem. You may warrant a referral to an ear nose and throat doctor if any problems come about from this. In certain circumstances polyps need removal. Good luck.