ZocdocAnswersCan stress induce coughing?

Question

Can stress induce coughing?

My job's been really hectic lately and I've developed a cough, but no other symptoms of a cold. This has happened before, and as soon as my job got better, so did my cough. Is it possible that my stress from work is actually causing my cough?

Answer

Stress is a contributor to many health problems. It can contribute to high blood pressure, indigestion, among many others. Stress is most detrimental to our mental health and can be associated with poor performance at work, insomnia, and strained relationships with others. Cough is typically not a side effect of stress. A chronic cough has several possible causes that need to be looked into. A few of them are listed below. 1. Post-nasal drip - If you have allergies that cause you to get a runny nose sometimes, this can result in a cough as the nasal secretions drip back and irritate your throat. 2. Smoking - smoking can cause a cough. In addition, it can cause chronic bronchitis, which can also result in a cough. 3. Asthma - In some patient's asthma causes a cough along with wheezing. Sometimes the cough can be the main symptom. 4. Use of an ACE inhibitor. If you take a drug known as an ACE inhibitor (such as lisinopril), a chronic cough is a side effect. You should probably be switched to a different blood pressure medication if this is the cause of your cough. My advice is to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician during the time when you have the cough. He or she will be able to review your symptoms, and do a thorough physical exam and help you get to the bottom of it. Good luck.