ZocdocAnswersCan menopause trigger vertigo?

Question

Can menopause trigger vertigo?

I'm a woman in menopause, which hasn't bothered me too much. The worst symptom I've had so far is the hot flashes ? until yesterday when I had a really bad spell of vertigo. Is this connected with menopause, too? Or is something else going on?

Answer

Vertigo can be a very distressing symptom that really interfere with your life if it returns frequently. They types of doctors that can treat vertigo depend on its cause and severity and range from a primary care physician to a neurologist and ear nose and throat specialist. In general vertigo is not typically caused by menopause itself. However, menopause may put you at risk for developing some of the more common causes of vertigo. The most common cause of vertigo is called Benign Positional Vertigo. As its name implies, it is a benign entity that tends to go away or can be helped with vestibular exercises or anti-nausea medicines. There is usually no associated hearing loss. Other causes such as Meniere's disease can be treated with diuretics. Finally, more severe causes such as rare brain tumors and infections will need to be looked at if it is determined that your vertigo is central in origin. I suggest you first bring this issue up with your primary care physician. He or she can perform tests in the office to determine whether you need to see a specialist or if your vertigo and be conservatively treated. That way you make sure that none of the serious causes of vertigo are present. Good luck.