Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

What causes belly buttons to bleed?

What could make your belly button bleed?! I'm 30 and I have never seen anything like this before. It's not a lot of blood, but it seems to just keep welling up and scabbing over. Is this potentially serious, or am I making a big deal of nothing?
There are several causes of bleeding from the belly button. Most of these should be evaluated by a physician. The physicians who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor. The most common cause of bleeding or drainage from the belly button (umbilicus) is an infection of the skin in the umbilicus. Like any skin surface, the skin of the umbilicus can become infection. In fact, it may be more likely to become infected because it is moist and a good environment for bacteria or fungi to grow. If there is swelling, pain, or redness of the skin in or around the belly button, then an infection is more likely. Topical antibacterial or antifungal creams may be prescribed by your doctor or perhaps even medications that you take by mouth. Occasionally, a small cyst or duct that extends into the abdominal wall from the belly button may be present. This is called a urachal remnant and is a left-over from fetal life. It can at times cause bleeding and may need observation or surgery. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctors is highly recommended.
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)