ZocdocAnswersAre there special facial cleansers for children?

Question

Are there special facial cleansers for children?

Are there special facial cleansers made just for kids? My grandson is only 11 but already I can see his skin is maturing and he will probably deal with acne soon. If I could get a cleanser that he likes and uses, I would consider that a success.

Answer

Acne is a common problem for many adolescents. Fortunately, it can be commonly treated with over the counter products and only requires medical treatment in severe cases. The physicians who are best qualified to discuss this issue include his pediatrician or a dermatologist. Acne is a problem that is caused by clogging if skin pores by debris. It can lead to both "blackheads" and "whiteheads." Acne tends to begin in adolescence because the sex hormones have an effect on skin. Although your grandson is only 11, it is possible that he is already feeling the effect of these hormones. The most important treatment for acne is good skin hygiene with a facial soap. There is no particular brand that is indicated for younger versus older adolescents. If skin hygiene is not enough, then the addition of a comedonolytic, or agent to remove skin debris, might be indicated. The most common and safest comedonolytics are those that contain benzoyl peroxide, which is found in many over the counter skin care products. As always, the diagnosis and the management of your grandson's specific condition will require a physical examination by his personal physician. Scheduling an appointment with his pediatrician or a dermatologist may be advisable.