ZocdocAnswersWhat procedures exist to remove lipomas?

Question

What procedures exist to remove lipomas?

How are lipomas removed? I'm not absolutely sure that I have a lipoma, because I diagnosed it myself after researching online ? but if I'm right, then what how complicated will the removal procedure be? Are there any risks that it could go wrong?

Answer

Lipomas are one of the most common medical conditions and are generally benign. The physicians who will be qualified to discuss this with you include your primary care doctor, a general surgeon, or a dermatologist. Lipomas are benign tumors of fat cells found in various locations of the body. They are typically slow growing and small, but can get quite large in some cases. They are characterized by a soft, rubbery, painless texture and they usually move around relatively easily under the skin (they are not fixed in place). Tumors that do not have these characteristics may be another type of tumor and should be evaluated. If the lipomas is small and not made painful, for example by rubbing on clothing, there is no need to remove it. However, if it becomes painful, a physician may remove it through a small skin incision under local anesthesia. If the lipomas is in a cosmetically sensitive area, some surgeons can employ very small incisions to minimize scarring or occasionally will use liposuction or injection of some medications to reduce the size of the lipoma. Complications of having the lipoma removed can include pain, bleeding, infection, and scarring. As always, the diagnosis and management of your specific condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor is recommended.