ZocdocAnswersCan coughing raise one's blood pressure?

Question

Can coughing raise one's blood pressure?

Is coughing linked with high blood pressure at all? I don't really understand the way blood pressure is connected to so many different things, but I notice that as my dad's allergies get worse, his blood pressure seems to rise. Am I imagining this?

Answer

Coughing can cause a short lived, instantaneous rise in one's blood pressure but is unlikely to cause longstanding elevations in blood pressure. Coughing causes changes in the pressures within and around the lung which in turn cause changes in how the heart pumps blood to the extremities. As such, immediately during a cough, the blood pressure measurements can become extremely elevated. When the cough is complete, blood pressures should return back to normal levels. Your father may be experiencing long lasting elevations in blood pressure if he takes certain medications for his allergies. These medications are known to cause elevations in blood pressure. It may also be that your father is developing hypertension which is unrelated to his allergies, in which case it may be that there are two separate processes that are occurring at the same time but have no direct correlation. It may be best if he is evaluated by his primary care physician who will be able to assess the current allergy medications he is taking, and whether there are any associated risks of hypertension. He may also be able to perform other tests to evaluate whether the high blood pressure is related to primary or essential hypertension.