search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What products stimulate facial hair growth?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat products stimulate facial hair growth?

Question

Is there a product I can use to stimulate facial hair growth? My beard is missing a patch, and it's somewhat unsightly. I also have friends that have lost bit of hair due to accidents ? can this product help them (say) regrow eyebrows?

Answer

There are few (if any) methods available for facial hair re-growth, but no miracle cures and now products specifically designed to re-grow facial hair. Products such as Rogaine and Propecia have been shown to help with male pattern baldness, but have not been shown to re-grow facial hair. This is a good question to bring up with your primary care physician first who may refer you to a Dermatologist. Some possible causes of lack of hair growth include some fungal infections, radiation exposure, or trauma. With regards to fungal infections, hair can re-grow if the infection is appropriately treated. With regards to trauma or radiation exposure, re-growth may be more difficult. Re-growing eyebrows will carry the same troubles as re-growing other facial hair. A method that you could consider is hair transplantation. I would only recommend asking about this if you are truly desperate because it is invasive and may give you less than desirable results I suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a look at your area minimal hair growth and decide whether you have something that can be treated or if you need referral to a dermatologist. Good luck.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances