How can one treat ingrown hairs on the face?

I have a terrible problem with ingrown hairs in my beard and mustache. They're not only unpleasant to look at, they're painful, too. What can I do to stave off the ingrown hairs? Is there a certain way I should shave or not shave?
Ingrown hairs are one of the most common skin conditions; fortunately, they are rarely serious. However, the doctors who are qualified to discuss this issue with you in detail include your dermatologist or your primary care doctor. In grown hairs are a condition caused when a hair curls back on itself and grows back down the hair shaft. The result is blocking of the shaft and inflammation and build up of pus. They are most common in those with curly hair and in shaved areas. One simple treatment, if desirable, is simply to shave less often. This will reduce trauma to the area and decrease in grown hairs. Additionally, since the development of an in grown hair is similar to the development of acne, many common acne treatments will also work. These include good exfoliating skin regimens, as well as the application of treatments designed to break up skin debris, such as benzoyl peroxide. You should avoid squeezing or pressing the spots, as this could lead to infection. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be recommended.

Nearby Dermatologists