ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of Swine Flu?

Question

What are the symptoms of Swine Flu?

What are the symptoms of swine flu, exactly? I know I tend to be a little frightened about these things, but I've still been worried ever since my husband got sick a few days ago. What should we look for if it's swine flu?

Answer

Swine flu refers to the H1N1 influenza virus that emerged last year and caused significant worldwide morbidity and mortality. Fortunately, the flu shots that are available this year protect against that strain of the virus, in addition to others. Swine flu, like seasonal influenza, can cause a variety of symptoms that are distressing to an individual. The most common symptoms reported include fever, chills, generalized fatigue, cough, headache, and muscle and joint aches. Less commonly, patient report nausea, vomiting and diarrhea as well. It is recommended that patients with the flu stay home to rest, except to receive medical care or other necessities. Generally, it is advisable to remain home until 24 hours have gone by without a fever and without taking any medications that lower fever (such as Tylenol). If started within a day of symptom onset, some anti-viral medication may help shorten the duration of illness. Otherwise, treatment is supportive, including rest and adequate hydration. Tylenol can be effective in reducing fevers, and Ibuprofen can be helpful in taking care of muscle aches and joint pains.