ZocdocAnswersHow can one minimize the appearance of pores?

Question

How can one minimize the appearance of pores?

My pores are very large and not pleasant to look at. What kind of treatment can use on my face which will shrink the pores and minimize their appearance?

Answer

Questions about the appearance of skin are one of the most common reasons for people to seek medical advice. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in detail include your primary care doctor or dermatologist. The most common reason for pores to appear enlarged is that they become clogged with dead skin and other debris. This is actually the same process that leads to whiteheads and blackheads. The treatment of this problem is, first and foremost, to keep the pores clean! Very important on this front is avoiding some kinds of makeup and other facial preparations that clog the pores. Subsequently, daily use of a good facial soap and an exfoliating treatment, such as something containing microbeads, can scrub out dead skin and debris and keep the skin looking youthful. Finally minimizing damage to the skin is important. In other words, daily application of a moisturizing lotion, especially in cold weather, and the use of sunscreen lotion when outdoors are important. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concern would require a physical examination by your personal physician. Scheduling an office visit with your primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be recommended.