ZocdocAnswersHow can one deal with mild-to-moderate acne?

Question

How can one deal with mild-to-moderate acne?

What's the best plan for mild ? to ? moderate acne? A lot of the products out there seem to be designed for cases of really severe acne. I wonder if using them would be too aggressive for my face.

Answer

Acne is one of the most common reasons for people to seek medical advice. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor and your dermatologist. Mild to moderate acne is caused when pores on the skin become clogged up with dead skin and other debris. A big part of treating this is limiting what goes on to the face - so choosing the amount and type of make up that is applied is important. After this, daily facial cleaning is the mainstay of treatment. Using a gentle facial soap or an exfoliating preparation (for example containing microbeads) will keep the amount of skin debris in the pores down to a minimum. If this is not enough, then the next level of treatment is a comedonolytic, or product that chemically breaks down the skin debris. Some of the most common and safest of these products contain benzoyl peroxide, which is available in over the counter and prescription forms. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or dermatologist might be indicated.