How do you treat itchy rashes around the anus?

I'm a young woman (31 years old) and I've developed an itchy rash surrounding my anus. I have several questions: A) What is it? B) How can I treat it? Can I use over-the-counter meds or will I need a prescription
There are several different causes for itching of the skin around the anus. Sometimes this does require medical evaluation, and the doctors who will be qualified to discuss this include your primary care doctor and your OB / GYN doctor. There are several causes of rash around the anus. The most common cause is simply irritation from moisture and chafing. Keeping the skin clean and dry and applying a good barrier cream may clear it up. Occasionally the area can become infected from the irritation. If there is pain, warmth, or redness, you may need antibiotic treatment either topically or with medications prescribed by your doctor. Another possibility would be a yeast infection of the area. This will respond well to an over the counter anti fungal medicine. Finally, dermatitis or eczema, including reactions to various soaps and personal beauty products may be a culprit, and an over the counter steroid cream, such as hydrocortisone, might do the trick. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular skin concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is recommended if symptoms do not improve.